Saturday, January 11, 2014

Downton Abbey Returns!!!

Season 4 of Downton Abbey began last Sunday night.  I have had this day marked in my calendar since October when I learned the date of the premiere.  I know, I am a total nerd.

Last season, I decided to try out a different British/period dessert to enjoy with every episode.  I blogged about the experiences too.  The result was absolute success!  I had so much fun trying new sweets and sharing them with others, I felt compelled to continue my new tradition!

So, how did I commemorate the premiere?  I made raspberry scones!!


Don't they look decadent?!  Here is how I made them.

Raspberry Scones

Ingredients:
2 1/2 C flour
1/3 C sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
1 Tbsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter, cold and cut into smaller pieces
3/4 C buttermilk (or substitute with 1 cup milk and 1 Tbsp white vinegar... let sit 5 minutes)
1 large egg yolk
1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste (can substitute vanilla extract)
1 1/2 C frozen/fresh raspberries
1/2 C chopped dark chocolate
Heavy cream

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  In a food processor, blend the dry ingredients.  Add the butter and pulse until it has a sand-like quality.  In a large measuring cup, mix together the buttermilk, egg yolk and vanilla bean paste.  Pour into the food processor and pulse until the dough just comes together.

Turn dough out onto a floured surface.  The dough might be very crumbly and not fully combined.  Gather the pieces and top with the raspberries and chocolate.  Knead ingredients together with the dough a few times until combined.  Pat dough into a 1"-thick disc.  Cut the scones into 8 slices and place onto a baking stone.  Brush with heavy cream and sprinkle with additional sugar.  Bake 15-18 minutes.  Serve warm or room temperature.  Delicious with tea!



I cannot wait to see how Lady Mary handles her new role as part owner of Downton.  I imagine she and her father will have words.  Lady Edith has a new, forbidden romance in the works.  I am sure it will be fraught with disappointment.  Their young wild child cousin now lives in the house and she is already up to her crazy antics.  THIS season should be good!!!

Image taken from: http://d2buyft38glmwk.cloudfront.net/media/images/canonical/mast-004402-hires.jpg

No comments: