Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Fountain of Youth?

Image from www.traveljournals.net

Yesterday, I had the chance to visit with a student teacher located over 2 1/2 hours from campus. The drive was not the fun part, although it was exciting to view fall harvest from the windows of the Escape. No, the fun occurred while witnessing this early career teacher interacting with her administrator, cooperating teachers, and students. She is doing an incredible job there already and it is only her third week of classes!

The entire student teaching group this quarter is one of those rare groups. You know the type. They take initiative. They help one another. They share without having to be asked. They are open, honest, caring. They provide support to one another, to the staff at their placements and to their students. Honestly, they make this whole professorial gig pretty great. I am well aware groups like this don't come along very often so I am trying to soak in the rich camaraderie and collegiality being demonstrated.

They also cause me to pause and reflect on my own career. What do I do to encourage collaboration among our preservice teachers? Do I demonstrate it in my dealings with others? Do I do all I can to help others? Do I push the boundaries of what I currently know and do? How can I improve? Am I willing to risk what is safe to make it so? These thoughts are coming at the perfect time... just as I am planning for the new quarter.

Ahh... working with young professionals can be soo invigorating!

No comments: